Thursday, January 1, 2009

Versailles

And this is a lighted case of vacuum cleaners smack dab in the middle of the room. WHY????
Just in case you don't believe me....
These horrific pieces of "art" are scattered throughout the rooms of the palace. This is Michael Jackson and his chimp Bubbles.
The Palace is so large it's impossible to get more than a little bit in one photo!
Can you say excess? It really is amazing! This is the top of the canopy below, the chandelier, and the ceiling.
Now here's a canopy bed a girl could love (without the plastic!)
and a window right across from it.
Here is a close-up of one of the mirrors in the Hall of Mirrors...
I wonder whose grandma covered the furniture in plastic?
I don't know which is more handsome, the Hall of Mirrors, or my husband!
The ceiling in the hall of mirrors. I have never seen so much gold leaf in my life!
The famous Hall of Mirrors. On one side of the very long hallway are the mirrors (which you see in this picture) and on the other side are windows, which are the same size and shape as the mirrors (which you can see reflected in the mirrors).
and fireplace!
and bed...
A very understated clock...
This is actually the ceiling of one of the rooms!
There is no simple furniture in the Palace of Versailles!
There are two of these very large urns, vases, whatever one does with these in one of the rooms of the grand apartments.

Yesterday (12/31) we took the train to Versailles (about a 30 min. ride). We had been to Versailles once before, and I must say that it is much more beautiful in the summer. The gardens and the fountains really add to it's beauty, and, in the winter the fountains are frozen and the gardens sparse! Of course, the inside of Versailles was as beautiful and excessive as ever. It is so over the top it's no wonder the French revolted! Speaking of revolting... I read about an exhibit by the artist Jeff Koons at Versailles, but I thought that it was over. Unfortunately for us, it was still going on, and it really was offensive to us all (if the point of the exhibit was to illicit emotion from the viewer, it succeeded!). For any Jeff Koons fans out there, I apologize, but it is really an ugly thing to do to Versailles!

No comments: