Saturday, August 15, 2009

Rachel's Dorm Quilt

You can't really tell, but here it is after it was quilted. I had it machine quilted in a paisley pattern, and now I am in the process of sewing the binding on. Check back here next week and hopefully I will have the finished product to show you. Rachel moves into her dorm on Sept. 2nd, so I don't have a lot more time to finish it!
Here is the top of the quilt all sewn together - we picked out a flannel fabric to back the quilt
Rachel's good friend Larissa's mom made her a quilt for her dorm room, and when Rachel saw it she came home and asked me if I would make her one too. Now, I do not sew, but I did take a beginner's quilting class almost 9 years ago. The quilt I made in the class needs to have the binding put on, and then I made a second top, which was to be for Rachel's bed, but it was never finished. Anyway, since the pattern is really easy, and the dimensions of the quilt are for the extra-long twin beds found in dorm room, I decided to give it a try. It is a sort of crazy quilt, as it requires something like 17 different fabrics. Rachel decided that she really wanted to put together fabrics that might not appear to go together at first blush, but somehow seem to work. Here is the quilt with the pieces cut out, but not sewn together. The white squares are to mark the fabric so as not to confuse the layout!

1 comment: