Monday, December 29, 2008

Musee National du Moyen Age (Cluny Museum)



But the real star of the show, and most famous of the museum's displays are the Lady and the Unicorn tapestries. These are a series of 6 tapestries, all similar in color, but each one depicts a different theme based on taste, hearing, sight, smell, touch and the sixth one "A Mon Seul Desir" (To My Sole Desire), which is also the largest of the series. These tapestries date from the 1400's, and are housed in a room with state-of-the art lighting to preserve them while still keeping them on display. The lighting, however, does not make for great picture taking!
And many religious artifacts as well...

The museum is full of beautiful relics like this ivory carving...


Today we started out the day by walking to the Musee National du Moyen Age (which means the National Museum of the Middle Ages - formerly known as the Cluny Museum). The museum is housed in a beautiful old building, but I have not read the book I bought about it yet, so I don't know what it used to be!

No comments: